Sunday, August 23, 2026

study methods!

 Dear babes and bears

In honor of back-to-school season, I'm going to be sharing some of my slightly unhinged study methods that I have used and will be using this year. As I go on listing the things I do while studying, beware that they get more unhinged as the list goes on. I honestly don't really study that much, but when I do, it's usually a big deal.

1) For study sessions where you are learning concepts, study outside. Sometimes during class I don't always fully understand a concept so I have to learn it on my own. I've found that studying outside instead of in my room is so helpful with elimitating distractions and clearing my mind so I can focus better. Even if you can't study outside due to weather or locational issues, just try studying somewhere other than your room or try studying at a library. For me, my room has a lot of pink and posters which can be too simulating while I'm trying to study. When I relocated to my backyard I enter a new, fresh enviornment, allowing my mind to instantly clear up and focus.

2) While studying or doing work at your desk, record a timelapse of yourself. My biggest problem with studying is getting the motivation to study. This is because I find myself in a contant loop where I tell myself "just one more scroll" and I end up wasting all my time. I can keep off my phone by recording a timelapse of myself and have a motivational video of my studying afterwards. Something about there being a camera watching me while I'm studying kind of gives me performance anxiety so that makes me feel like I need to stay focused for longer periods of time. 

3) Go for a walk and study at the same time. This study method can be done on the treadmill/walking pad or it can just be done outside. I like to use this method while reviewing for a test rather than learning concepts. While walking, review flashcards, listen to lectures, or read books. For example, if you are studying for the SAT, you can take your phone and find a Quizlet (or make your own flashcards physically) and review SAT vocabulary words. You could also use this for math formulas/conecpts that you need to memorize. If you do mock trial or debate and need to memorize something, you could repeatedly say your speech over and over again until you have it fully memorized. One thing I like do to is I keep walking on the treadmill until I finish my book. Now the reason you would do all of this on the treadmill is because according to Harvard Health Publishing, aerobic exercises such as walking or running help with your brain health. Anxiety, stress, and poor sleep are all linked to cognitive impairment but exercise helps to reduce those factors. So by walking while studying, you will be more focused and retain whatever information you are trying to learn better.

4) Go for a study-run. This method is probably the weirdest one, but I think it's the most effective. I usually use this method on the weekends when I have a lot of time on my hands. Let's say for example you are studying for the SAT, you pull up Khan Academy on your laptop and take the practice quiz. Before you start the quiz, you make sure to put on your running clothes and set up your study materials outside. Once you are done with the practice quiz, you make note of every question you got wrong and however many questions were incorrect, that is the amount of laps you will be running around the block. For me, one lap around my block is ~400m (a little bit over), so if I got 4 questions wrong, I would be running about 1 mile. Once you are done running, return back to the pratice quiz and reflect and review the questions you got wrong. Repeat by taking a new quiz and keep running laps and studying until you get every question correct.

I hope this study methods come in handy for you :).

xoxo,

Maria

2 comments:

  1. lol its so crazy im reading this when i should be studying for pre finals , welll be trying the first two methods i think they would work for me , thank uuuuu

    ReplyDelete

Short story/novel updates

Dear babes and bears, As some of you may know I am trying to write a novel and (hopefully) get it published. Right now I have like only half...