Monday, August 10, 2026

Hiking Mt. Minsi: My experience

 Dear babes and bears,

Just last weekend I had hiked Mount Minsi with my family. This was my first experience with hiking and what can I say except it was awesome! I defintely think I was a little bit underprepared because instead of wearing actually hiking boots I wore my old running shoes and my water bottle was only half-way filled. Despite these setbacks, I still managed to have an amazing hike. Also, somehow I didn't get bit by a single bug even though I didn't wear any repellant at all?! 

My biggest mistake was not wearing hiking boots. Throughout the trail, we needed to cross through many different streams and rivers (kind of like a Dora the Explorer moment) and there was so much mud. Safe to say my old running shoes got completely dirty with mud, and to think I was going to wear my new ones! I do plan on purchasing hiking boots when/if I go on another hike. I'm thinking about purchaing the Columbia ones or the Mountain Wearhouse ones with the pink laces. Let me know your recommendations in the comments!

The whole trail itself totaled to about six and a half miles. We took plenty of breaks which defintely helped with exhaustion. I would say the difficulty level of Mount Minsi is easy to moderate. There was a slight bit of climbing and some slipperly patches but overall it was quite nice. The air was pretty humid that day but I would still recommend wearing long pants so you don't get mud on your legs and to avoid bug bites. My highlights of the hike were when we went by Eureka Creek, the refreshing mist of the water was a nice treat after a good 2 miles of hiking. The views, of course, were beautiful too. Looking down below you could view the river and if you were lucky, an eagle soaring high in the sky. My least favorite parts of the hike was the way down and the fact that the highway was pretty close so you could hear it now and then throughout the hike. The way down was super rocky and uncomfortable. Being a runner, I had to go extra slow to not risk falling and getting an injury. This was pretty annoying but I wouldn't say it ruined the experience/played a big role. As for the highway, you could actually see it as part of the views (which seemed a tad dystopian to me) and every now and then you would be able to hear the sounds of cars zooming by on the highway. Again, this didn't ruin the hiking experience but it was prevelant enough that I had noticed it.

Overall, I would give Mount Minsi an eight out of ten. The trail itself is absolutely beautiful and the actually hiking experience was super fun. The views weren't anything special in my opinion, but that's not to say they weren't good. And now, enjoy some pictures I took:

xoxo,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Short story/novel updates

Dear babes and bears, As some of you may know I am trying to write a novel and (hopefully) get it published. Right now I have like only half...